"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." -John F. Kennedy

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I heard this story tonight

     I went to a Tenth Avenue North concert tonight, they told us a story that was really interested me so I'll tell you.
     The story is about how the Jewish people engagements took place, the groom would "purchase" his bride from her father. After all the arrangements were made with the brides father, the groom would then give her a cup of wine saying "this is the cup of my Covenant" (I don't know if thats the right wording because I don't remember that well.). If the Bride drank from the cup that means she is saying yes.
     After the bride drank from the cup they would both go their separate ways and not see each other throughout the entire engagement. The only contact that can be made is through the best man.
     As the bride is waiting, the groom is working on a "Mansion" (Mansion literally translates to "apartment") that is being built off of the grooms families home. When the grooms father checks the mansion and says its complete he can then go and call upon his bride and they can be married.
      The point of this story is that Jesus did this exact same thing to His disciples. Before Jesus was crucified, He said to His disciples, "This is the cup of My Covenant," of course He wasn't asking His disciples to marry Him but they drank from the cup because they were going to wait for Him. Jesus left and the only contact we have with Him is through His "best man" A.K.A. the Holy Spirit. He is building us "Mansions" and when His Father says they are finished, He will come back for us.
     I really thought that this was a neat tradition.. although I think that staying away from your future husband until he has finished building and entire apartment is a bit out there but its still a pretty neat tradition.

     -Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment