"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." -John F. Kennedy

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

European Adventure: Venice, Italy

June 6th, 2010


     Venice is an amazing place to see, maybe not an amazing place to smell but that's not the point. Beautiful would be a big understatement when describing Venice. There are so many people, bridges, and almost everywhere you look there is a canal. Katy and I actually made ourselves stop taking pictures of canals because there were so many that they began to look the same.
     We left the campground at around 7:30 am to catch the ferry to Venice. From what I have written, it wasn't what I had expected. I had really wanted to see St. Marks Square and Basilica but they were being renovated so they were covered with scaffolding that was covered with very large advertisements. 
     Venice is not really how they show it in the movies, don't get me wrong, its a very beautiful place but St. Marks square has vendors all throughout it selling tourist stuff. We went to McDonalds for lunch but later we stopped at a Jewish Bakery and had Bread Puddings, they were very good. 
     There are a lot of churches in Venice and we went inside a lot of them, we actually walked in on a church that had a service going on, it was an accident.    We walked in and walked right back out. My grandparents bought us each an ice cream, the ice cream in Venice was in my top 5 if not my number 1 favorite ice cream. 

     Throughout our day in Venice we walked around 10 miles, up and down stairs and tiny little alleys, it was sort of like a maze, if we didn't have Garmin (my grandpas GPS) we would have been lost! We took the ferry back to Camping Fusina, took showers had dinner and fell asleep. Venice was a really neat experience. 







No comments:

Post a Comment